Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation
Bryan A. Schneider, Secretary  
Bruce Rauner, Governor
www.idfpr.comAgency Quick Links
IDFPR Home Page
Military Families
License Look Up
Physician Profile
License Renewals
Elder-Disabled Services (EDS)
Latest News
Mandatory State's Attorneys Reports
Medical Cannabis Program
Discipline Information
FOID Mental Health Reporting
Information About
Non-banking Financial Institutions
Professional Regulation
Real Estate
Contact Information
General FAQs
Boards & Committees
State of Illinois Appointments
State of Illinois
Agencies, Boards & Commissions
Citizens/Consumers...Did You Know You Can?


File a complaint

The Bureau of Residential Finance has authority to accept consumer complaints for the following regulated entities:

Residential Mortgage Licensees, state chartered savings and loan associations and state chartered savings banks

If your complaint concerns a mortgage banker or mortgage broker and yyou are not certain about whether or not your complaint falls under our jurisdiction, you should review the list of Residential Mortgage Licensees .

If your complaint concerns a savings and loan association or a savings bank and you are uncertain about whether or not your complaint falls under our jurisdiction, you should review our list of regulated thrifts or you may use the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's (FDIC) Institution Directory to determine the primary bank regulator. The FDIC Institution Directory (ID) also provides the latest comprehensive financial and demographic data of every FDIC-insured institution, including the most recent quarterly financial statements, as well as performance and condition ratios.

The OBRE regulates only STATE CHARTERED savings and loan associations and STATE CHARTERED savings banks.

OBRE does not have any authority over federal savings and loans (FS&Ls), federally chartered savings banks (F.S.B.s), national banks (N.A.), or credit unions. View contact information for these regulators.

If you have a complaint against one of our regulated entities

It is best to try to resolve a complaint directly with the regulated institution before involving an outside agency. If you believe the institution is in error, put your concern in writing and schedule a meeting with your institution's officials and explain your situation. When you meet with the officials at the regulated eneitiy, have all of your facts and documents with you. In most cases, this kind of direct dialog between the customer and the institution will bring a resolution.

Financial institutions want to be good corporate citizens and will in most cases make every effort to satisfy a customer's concerns.

When resolution seems impossible, you may seek 1) private legal counsel or 2) contact our Consumer Services Division 3) or both. This Consumer Services Office is authorized to process your inquiry/complaint against our regulated entities. For Consumer Services to process your complaint, you must submit a complaint form.

For your complaint to be processed, you should complete this consumer form and attach a letter that explains

  • The nature of the situation
  • The institution's decision concerning your situation and the basis for their decision, if know
  • What resolution you are seeking

and send the form and the extra attachment to:

ATTN: Consumer Services
Division of Banking
100 West Randolph, 9th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601

The following is Consumer Services contact information should you wish to contact them:

Toll Free Consumer Hot Line: 877-793-3470
Fax: 312-793-3977

Consumer Help is available from the following Agencies

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
(Regulates national banks)

National banks can usually be identified because they have the words "national" or "national association" in their titles or the letters N.A. or NT&SA following their titles. For national banks, please contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street
Suite 3710
Houston, TX 77010


The Office of Thrift Supervision
(Regulates federal savings and loans (S&Ls) and federally chartered savings banks (F.S.B.s))

Office of Consumer Programs
1700 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20552
(202) 906-6237


The National Credit Union Administration
(Regulates federal credit unions)

1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3428
(703) 518-6300


Illinois Division of Financial Institutions
(Regulates consumer finance companies, credit unions, currency exchanges, title insurance companies, and money transmitters.)

James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph St., Suite 15-700
Chicago, IL 60601
E-mail: Consumer Credit Division -
Credit Union Division -
Currency Exchange Division -


Office of State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias
(Unclaimed Property)

Unclaimed Property Division
P. O. Box 19495
Springfield, IL 62794-9495
Inquiry: 1-217-785-6992
Claims: 1-217-782-6692
Reporting: 1-217-782-4072


The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
(Regulates Federally insured state banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System)

Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs
550 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20429
(202) 942-3100


The Federal Reserve Board
(Regulates state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System)

Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
Federal Reserve Board
Washington, DC 20551
(202) 452-3946


Federal Trade Commission
(Regulates other lenders)

Consumer Response Center
6th and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20580
(202) 326-2222


Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
(Enforces Fair Housing Act)

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
451 Seventh Street, S.W., Room 5100
Washington, DC 20410
(202) 708-4252

Bureau of Residential Finance
Residential Finance Main
Residential Finance Contacts
Law Department
Mortgage Brokers and Bankers
Loan Originators
MB Forms
MB Licensee List
MB News
External Links
State Features
Illinois AMBER Alert
Illinois Business Portal
Illinois Veterans Care
Illinois workNet