Close this F.A.Q. page.

Division of Real Estate

Land Sales Frequently Asked Questions

View all answers
Q. Who is required to register under the Land Sales Registration Act of 1999?

Any person(s) engaging in the business of selling subdivided land that is located outside the State of Illinois to any individual located in Illinois must first obtain a certificate of registration issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. (see 765 ILCS 86/5-5)

Q. Am I exempt from registration under the Land Sales Registration Act of 1999?

There are several situations in which the provisions of the Act do not apply. For a list of the exemptions, see 765 ILCS 86/5-5(1)-(7)

Q. If contact is initiated by an Illinois resident, is registration required under the Act?

No. Registration is triggered when a developer or agent initiates the contact with an Illinois resident.

Q. If the developer is invited to attend a trade show held in Illinois, must we register?

Yes. The developer must register with the Department prior to attending the show. All subdivision(s) marketed at the trade show must be registered with the Department prior to the show.

Q. How do I register as a Land Sales developer/subdivision?

To register, you must complete the application for registration and pay the applicable fee(s), which can be found on our website - (Click here). You will also need to attach all required supporting documentation.

Q. What are the fees associated with registering/amending?

Click here for a list of applicable fees.

Q. When is an amendment to a registration required and how soon must it be reported to the Department?

The developer shall amend or supplement its registration to report any material change in the information required by the Land Sales Registration Act of 1999. Such amendment or supplementation shall be made within 30 days after the occurrence of the material change. "Material change" means any change that alters the meaning or effect of an instrument or information, or any change which affects the rights or liabilities of any owner or purchaser. (see 68 IAC 1260/1260.200)

Q. When/how do I renew my registration?

A certificate of registration expires on June 30 following the date of issuance. You will be sent a renewal notice at least 60 days prior to the expiration of your certificate. You must return the renewal notice along with the applicable fees. The supporting documentation (see 68 IAC 1260/1260.205) may accompany the renewal submission or may be provided separately and must be received by the Department no later than July 30. For a list of renewal fees click here. Note: An exemption does not expire or renew, but any change in the status of the subdivision that may affect the exemption must be reported to the Department. (see 765 ILCS 86/5 15(e))

Q. Why does my Certificate of Registration look different?

In July of 2011, all Land Sales records were transferred to a database consistent with all of the other Department licensees.

Q. Why do the forms refer to CFPB- ILS instead of HUD-ILSRD?

As of July 21, 2011, under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, all of the consumer protection functions of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) relating to the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act (ILS) has transferred to the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection, Interstate Land Sales (CFPB- ILS). CFPB is now authorized to administer and enforce the requirements under ILS.

Q. How do I file a complaint against a Land Sales developer?

To file a complaint, please fill out the complaint form and mail to the address provided on the form. You will also need to attach to the form any and all documentation you have relating to the complaint. Click here to download the complaint form.